I want to put into words the details of how The Suck came to be. It really is an unbelievable story. But I need to put it down so I won't have to repeat it multiple times. Because you really need to know all the details in order to even try to comprehend it. I never in a million years thought that I would have this Jerry Springer-style drama in my life. But here it is.
Friday, August 27, 2010
Justin tells me he has plans to go out with Lon. He goes out with Lon at least one night every weekend, sometimes two depending on if I have plans with my friends or not. He never comes home after he goes out with Lon because heavy drinking and cabs are involved. I call Justin at work and tell him that I am going to go shopping in Little 5 Points for this one shirt in particular I have been looking for. Does he want to meet me for dinner before going out with Lon? No, they already have plans. OK. So I take my time shopping, pick up my own dinner and get home around 7:45. Justin is in the kitchen when I arrive and I say, "I thought you would have already been gone by now." He says, "I wanted to wait for you to get home so I could see your pretty face." How sweet.
I drink wine, watch Jersey Shore and am in bed by 11:00. It came to be my typical Friday night.
Saturday, August 28, 2010
I wake up at 4:00 am to see my cool new HTC Android phone all lit up. I have the ringer off, but I take a look and notice I have 6 missed calls. I listen to the voicemails and Justin is calling from the Cobb County Jail to tell me that he has been arrested for a DUI and can I come bail him out as soon as possible. I throw on some clothes, get directions to the jail and set out to pick him up. I call the jail on my way and learn that he will be in processing for 6 to 8 hours so I should just go back home. I turn around, go home and start researching the repercussions on the internet. I made notes about what kind of community service he'll have to do, how much the attorney fees will cost, how he will lose his license for 30 days, etc. Then I decide to take a nap. I wake up about 7:15 to Justin calling to tell me that he is being booked and that I will need to get $1,650 in cash to bail him out.
So I get back in the car, and drive to a Wachovia ATM to see how much money I can get out of the ATM. No luck. I get to the Cobb County Jail visitor area at around 8:15 am. I offer to pay with a check book, but only cash is accepted. The bank doesn't open until 9:00am, so I head to a nearby McDonald's for a coffee and chicken biscuit to kill time. I had to drive to Marietta Square (past another Wachovia branch) since not all branches are open from 9-12 on Saturdays.
I am not the first person in line for the bank to open at 8:45, but the second. Luckily I get in and out in a flash. I withdraw $1,800 from our savings account to cover the bail and the fee to get the Blazer out of impound.
I end up getting lost on the way back to the jail, and arrive around 9:45 or so. I get back and the waiting area is packed. There are families getting their fingerprints and pictures taken so they can visit with inmates. I have to wait to check in since the families visiting inmates is a priority. I don't mind waiting, but Justin calls me about every 45 minutes to an hour to check on the progress. I tell him that I have the cash, I am waiting, and hopefully it will be soon.
A little after 10:00 I am called up to the front desk and I have to give my name and the name of the person I am bailing out. A sheet of paper with Justin's mugshot and his ID number is presented to me that I have to sign in order to bail him out. The mug shot is really creepy. Black and white, and he has this look in his eyes that I've hardly ever seen. Just sheer disgust. I could tell he was really upset with himself.
So then I wait some more. Justin calls again. I tell him that I am just waiting for my name to be called so they can take the payment and begin his processing.
About 30 minutes later, I see a woman at the window talking to the policemen. They say, "Erin Marlett." I had not heard my name called over the loudspeaker, so I walked up to the window. I said, "I'm Erin Marlett." They asked me, "Are you here to bail out Justin Marlett?" I said yes. The two cops behind the window and the woman in front of the window next to me all look at each other. The woman speaks and says, "My name is Linda and I'm from a bail bonds company. Your husband has already had his bond posted by a woman named Brittany." The cop on the left said, "Do you know anyone named Brittany?" I said no. Linda asked me again. No, I don't know anyone named Brittany. She said that Brittany had posted bond for Justin. We double check the mugshot sheet that I have and his ID number. Yes, it's the same guy. Obviously I was very confused. I said, "I'm sorry, I've never done this before. I have the cash in my purse, who do I pay it to? Do I owe interest with a bail bondsman?" The cop on the right said, "You don't have to pay anything. It's already done." The cops look at each other like, "Aw, here's some drama... the wife shows up and another girl has already bailed him out." I did not like how they were looking at me because I'm sure they see a lot of crazy stuff, but Justin was not like that. We were not like that. The cop on the left told me to drive around the corner and to park at the bottom of the hill, and Justin would be released from that building. Linda explained that it would take around an hour and a half more for him to be processed and released. Cop on the left told me not to cause a scene when he came out since he would have to explain who Brittany was. I told him he didn't have to worry... but then I started to tear up. I thanked them for their help and went directly into the ladies room and started sobbing.
I pull myself together and drive to the parking lot where I am to wait for Justin to come out. My mind is reeling. Who is Brittany? And why would she spend this kind of money to bail my husband out of jail? There had to be a mistake in the office. Now I'm starting to panic wondering if the worst could really be true. I call Mary Jane's cell phone. She's at the salon working. She doesn't pick up. I call Megan Branch. She doesn't pick up. I don't want to tell people that I'm sitting waiting to pick up my husband for a DUI, but I need to talk to someone or I will go crazy.
Finally, Justin calls again from inside the jail. He asks how much longer it's going to be until he is released. Here is how the exchange went. It's also interesting to note that this is the last time I have spoken to him.
Erin: Hello
Justin: Hey. How much longer is it going to be until I am released?
E: About another hour or so.
J: Another hour? (whining)
E: Yes. But I have some good news.
J: What?
E: We no longer owe $1,650.
J: How much do we owe?
E: $0.
J: How is that?
E: Someone named Brittany already bailed you out.
J: Who's Brittany?
E: I was hoping you could tell me that.
J: I don't know anyone named Brittany.
E: Were you with someone named Brittany at the bar last night?
J: (Pause) Oh yeah, Lon has a friend named Brittany. She was there last night. Lon's not like, with her, but she was there.
E: Do you think she's the one that bailed you out? Why would she spend that kind of money if she didn't know you that well? (starts to cry)
J: Lon doesn't have that kind of money. I guess he asked her to do it so I could pay her back.
E: (really crying now) Then why wouldn't he call your wife? Do you know how those cops were looking at me? They made it seem like there is another woman!
J: Calm down. Please don't cry. You know that's not what happened. That's ridiculous. This is not what it sounds like.
E: But you didn't see the way they were looking at me. They acted like this was some episode of Jerry Springer where the wife busts the husband with his girlfriend. I know they see a lot of crazy sh*t in here, but they were looking at me like I was the wronged wife!
J: That's crazy. You know I would never do anything like that.
E: I know, but this doesn't make any sense. Why would a stranger bail you out of jail?
J: Lon probably asked her to help me out since she was with us at the bar. And he probably didn't want you to get mad at me. Please stop crying. You are blowing this way out of proportion.
E: OK. Well I didn't think you would do anything like that, but just the way they were looking at me in there...
J: No. That's ridiculous. I promise, honey, that's not what happened. Please don't be upset.
E: Ok.
J: Oh, I gotta go. (hangs up abruptly)
So I determine that Brittany is Lon's friend and that we can just give her the cash I withdrew from the bank to pay her back quickly. I start to feel better. I knew it wasn't what it looked like.
More time passes. Then the cop on the left from the jail building approaches my car. I roll down the window and say, "I just talked to him. He explained everything, it was a friend of a friend who bailed him out." The cop says, "I'm glad you talked to him and you feel better. I wanted to tell you that Brittany is here now. She's in the waiting area where you initially were. She's a brunette and she's wearing a striped shirt and gray pants. I've been wronged a bunch of times in my life and I just wanted to tell you, so do with that information what you will. But don't cause a scene out here." and smiles his big smile. I tell him that he doesn't have to worry about me causing a scene and that I really appreciate his letting me know.
I drive back to the waiting area, park and frantically walk into the building. There are only 2 people seated, a man on the right and a large African American woman on the left. I walk back to the windows where I initially talked to the bail bonds woman and see a woman who is nowhere near Brittany's description. I walk back to my car and drive back to my waiting spot at the bottom of the hill. Cop on the Left, who from now on I call "Angel Cop", is still standing outside the building across from which I'm parked. I get out of the car and tell him that I didn't see her. Is she African American I ask? No, he says. We are both confused as to why I didn't see her since she was just there. We both do an "Oh well" shrug and I thank him again and get back in my car.
I start to think some more. I stand outside my car, lean against it and remember things like the way Justin always keeps his cell phone on silent. Not even vibrate. The way that when he checks his hotmail account on the laptop while sitting on the couch and his inbox is always empty. The hundreds and hundreds of times he is out playing golf, watching football, playing poker with Lon and Kyle and crashes at Kyle's house because he can't drive home. Or leaves his car at the bar and takes a cab home with Lon to eat Krystals and watch 30 Rock on DVD. Then I start to cry. There has to be a reasonable explanation for this. So I get back in my car and wait.
Then I see a brunette wearing a striped shirt walk into the building across from the parking lot. I get out of my car and follow her in. There are about 3 other people crossing in between us, so I let them pass. Then I approach her. At this point I am really hoping she is just Lon's friend, but I'm wary because of Angel Cop.
Erin: Are you Brittany?
Brittany: Yes
E: And you bailed out Justin?
B: Yes (looks at me strangely)
E: Thank you so much. I'm Erin and I really appreciate you bailing him out. (I shake her hand, and her hand is a noodle. She has a look of complete shock on her face)
B: Are you related to Justin?
E: (holding up my left hand) I'm his wife.
B: No no no no, don't say it, don't say it, this isn't happening...
E: And you bailed out this guy? (I show her the sheet of paper with his mug shot)
B: Yes (she shows me her identical sheet of paper with his mug shot)
We both start to sob.
Another cop comes out and says "Ladies, you need to take this elsewhere."
I put my arm around Brittany as she sobs.
E: Brittany, I'm not mad at you. Please, will you talk to me? I'm parked right there, let's sit in my car with the A/C on and we'll talk about this.
B: He told me he wasn't married! (sobbing)
Brittany sits in my car. We talk for about 20 minutes. I don't remember the order of the things she told me, but I will just write in bullets the facts that I got from her. I still didn't want to believe her, but when she showed me his cell phone number on her phone and a text message from him at 1:10 am the night before telling her that he was on his way to her house, it really hit me. Below is what she told me in no particular order.
- He met her at Atkins Park (bar in Virginia Highlands) in January.
- He told her that his name is Justin Marler. When she got to the jail to bail him out they said, "We have a Justin Marlett, but not a Justin Marler." When she saw his picture she knew that he had been lying to her about his name.
- He told her that his 4 year engagement had just ended in September
- He still lives with his ex's roommate named Jennifer who has two dogs named Bailey and Riggs
- His brother Brian is a pastor and has 2 kids (and I said, yes, his brother married us)
- His roommate has a friend named Anna who also stays at the house, which is why Brittany can never go there and why he always stays with her. She asks me if I know an Anna. I say no. And I tell her that I don't know any Jennifers either.
- She sees him multiple times a week. On the weekends, after work. All the time. I told her that he worked late on Wednesday of that week and he got home at 10:30 pm. She said, yes, he left my house at 10:00.
- He regularly takes her to the W hotel
- He bought her bedding for her bedroom
- She was sick in the hospital and once she was home he came over and brought her medicine
- Over 4th of July she broke up with him and gave him everything back that he had bought her. She wanted him to commit to her since they had been dating for 7 months but he said he couldn't because his previous relationship had damaged him so badly. She said that a couple days later he brought back all the things he had bought her and they got back together.
- She told him that he had restored her faith in men. When she told me this fact she was sobbing and I really knew that she was just as blind sided and devastated as I was.
- In March, he showed up at her place with a wedding band on his left hand. She asked him what the hell it was and he told her that it was his Dad's ring. His dad was really ill with severe arthritis and can't move around very well. So he wanted Justin to have it for when he gets married one day.
- I tell Brittany that she must have noticed he was gone for a week in April when we were celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary. She said he had emailed her from the trip. We couldn't use our cell phones and Justin told me he needed to go to the internet cafe to move some money into our account and to check his work email so he'd be able to relax.
- I asked her where she lived and she said "around here." I told her that made sense because when I asked him why he was in jail in Cobb County, he told me that when he got pulled over he had left from Lindbergh and was driving northbound on 75/85 by accident. He realized he was going the wrong way and when he made an illegal lane change to turn around he got pulled over and arrested for a DUI. But now I know he was on his way to Brittany who lives somewhere in Cobb County. Because I saw the text message from his phone number that said so.
- She showed me a picture of herself on her cell phone and he was in the background. I recognized the plaid, short sleeve shirt and the back of his head/partial profile. I knew it was him. He was smart enough not to pose with her in a picture though, she only had one of him in the background.
At this point I'd heard and seen enough. I had all the evidence I needed to prove to me that my husband had been living a double life all this time. He covered his tracks extremely well. If it hadn't been for Angel Cop, I would have left that jail with Justin Marlett and Brittany would have gone to the W with Justin Marler one night over Labor Day weekend (she told me he already made plans for that). I had previously asked Justin if he wanted to go out of town for Labor Day to visit family, and he said no. He had been traveling so much this summer that he wanted to stay in town. A few days before the DUI he asked if I was going back to the beach for Labor Day. I told him that I wanted to do something fun with him. Now it all made sense.
Brittany and I exchanged phone numbers and email addresses. I told her that I couldn't sit in that parking lot any more because I had to leave before Justin came out. I told her "You should leave his a** too if you want" and she said, "No, he owes me money and a lot of explanations. So I'm going to wait for him." I thank her again for talking to me, tell her I'm not mad at her and I know that she had no idea that he was married. Just the look on her face and the way she was so distraught convinced me that he had really snowed her over too.
So I leave. I drive away, not knowing where I am going. I call my mom's cell phone. She doesn't answer. I call my Dad's cell phone. He answers and I uncontrollably sob/scream into the phone. I try to tell him what's going on. He tells me that I need to pull the car over and calm down. I get out the fact that Justin has been cheating on me and living a double life for the last 8 months. I take the first right turn I can off of Powder Springs Rd. in Marietta and it's a Baptist Church. I park the car and end up sitting in the parking lot of a church for at least an hour. I made numerous phone calls. But it was not lost on me that it happened to be a church where I pulled over. That was the first time since this happened that I knew God was with me. He was right there beside me. He sent me Angel Cop. And He has sent me many other angels in multiple forms over the last 7 days which I can't wait to tell you about.
That is how I am strong enough to write this blog and for you to read it. That is how I know I am going to be ok. That is how I am so excited to live the life of my dreams and not make excuses for someone anymore.
Holy crapamolie!! What an ASS!!! You go Erin - Do what you have to do and have no regrets, Baby Girl! You know we love you and are here for you! You might want to think about turning this into a Lifetime Movie $$$
ReplyDeletexoxo Aunt Sue
I hate him.
ReplyDeleteThis is almost unbelievable Emr! Who IS this guy??!! He had us all fooled.
ReplyDeleteYou sound healthy and happy. Thank goodness for your family and friends -- and for your strong sense of self, of right and wrong, and of respect. Too bad Justin missed out on that important stuff. Glad you are taking it a day at a time -- and stopping to savor the love that surrounds you. Come see us in Wyoming when you want to take a break.
ReplyDeleteAunt MAP, Uncle Bob and the three little corgis