Hello. This is the new Erin writing to you. The daredevil Erin. Just kidding. Sort of.
So I have definitely become a new woman since all of this has happened to me. I no longer sugar coat things when I talk to my co-workers and friends. I tell people what I want when they ask. And I do things now that I would have normally passed on before.
I have always been a fan of all things paranormal. So when my friend Claire asked me to join her and her neighbors for the Roswell Ghost Tour, I jumped at the chance. But I didn't realize how scary it would be. We met at the gazebo in the Roswell square. We went on a walking tour of historic Roswell and our tour guide Jonathan told us about different stories of paranormal activity that occurred at each place. I love watching shows like Ghost Hunters and Celebrity Ghost Stories. I had never had a paranormal experience, until the night of the tour.
The group was in Founder's Cemetery and Jonathan had been pointing out different areas where spirits had been spotted on previous tours. He had been shining his bright flashlight above our heads to show us the tree where the children had been seen, and the huge headstone where the ghost of Roswell King had been spotted. Then he shone the light on the raised grave of Georgia Elliott. I saw a lime/flourescent green light right in front of the grave, but I didn't think anything of it since I'd had the light beam in my eyes a few moments before. But then Jonathan told us that he had recently been standing next to the grave and a guest took a picture of him. When they looked at it on her digital camera, he said there was a lime green ball of light next to him in the photograph. My heart skipped a beat. That explained the green light that I had seen when he quickly shined the flashlight on the grave. I told him and the group this, and no one else saw it. It was pretty cool, but eerie too.
Another girl on our tour saw what she thought was a lamp in a window of an historic home, but later when we saw pictures from the 1850's of the people who lived there, she realized she had seen a maid's white cap and scarf! It was crazy!
So I ended up sleeping in Claire's guest room that night so I didn't have to sleep in the basement by myself! I slept like a baby that night, I was just glad I was on the same floor as everyone else.
The next day I rode to Nashville with Megan and Tom to visit Megan's parents Kirk and Carlotta, Megan's sister Claire and her husband Zach. We had a great time. We went out on Lake Percy Pierce on Saturday afternoon. We stopped the boat at this huge rock/cliff and they showed me where you climb up and you can jump off of the 40-50 foot cliff. Carlotta asked me if I wanted to jump and I said, "Oh, no. I'm afraid of heights. It would have to be really hot out for me to jump into the water from that high." But then I started to think about it. I'm a good swimmer. Once I hit the water I knew I would be fine. Claire had done it before. Why shouldn't I do it? Being afraid or embarrassed to jump with everyone watching were not good enough reasons for me not to do it. So I said, "I think I can do it. Maybe I will." Tom was surprised. Zach said, "you don't have to do it right now, why don't you have a couple beers first." So I did. We had a great time on the lake, and I enjoyed watching Claire, Zach and Carlotta ski. Then it was time to take the boat back and to pass the cliff. I'd had some liquid courage at this point and I was ready for my jump. I have never done anything like this ever. I have never rock climbed, let alone without a harness or rope or anything. I thought that climbing to the top would be the scariest part. But once I got to the top and stepped out onto the ledge, I was wrong. It took me a while to get my breath and to calm down, but Tom was filming me and I didn't want to take forever! So I shouted, "This is the new Erin! I'm going to jump now! 1... 2... 3!" And I jumped. And it was pretty scary. Kirk had told me to jump with my legs together and my arms down by my sides. But I was falling so fast and so far that I couldn't help but wave my arms out like a bird. My feet hit the water, I went under, I swam to the surface, I opened my eyes and let out a "Wooooo!" to lots of applause. It was awesome. It was such a great feeling of accomplishment and pride. I was so happy I did it. Megan said I inspired her. Kirk said he was proud for me. Wow. I dried off and enjoyed feeling the wind hit me from the front of the boat like a dog hanging out a car window. I closed my eyes, lifted my face up to the sun and felt it's warmth. And I smiled the biggest smile.
Megan took some great pics of my climb and big jump!




I'm so proud of you Emr!!!
ReplyDelete