I've always been a light sleeper, but this is ridiculous. I'm amazed that my body is still functioning on what little sleep I've had in the last week. But it has. I am now in Charleston at my parents' house. I just got out of bed and left Mary Jane, Bailey and Caamba (MJ's cocker spaniel) in the queen size bed. Riggs was sleeping on the floor at the foot of the bed since he's not agile enough to jump up on the bed (and there wasn't enough room for him anyway). I was lying awake and thinking about the different songs that have helped me through this last week. It's funny that Mary Jane brought to me the mixed cd's I made for her when she was going through her divorce 2 years ago. I made these cd's thinking, "If I were going through something as awful as that, what would I want to listen to?" So now I have them. And my co-worker Jim made me a mixed cd and gave it to me at work. He put Cee-Lo's new song titled "F--- You" and some country songs on there. I think I might become a country fan! Those songs have the most clever lyrics!
But I wanted to let you know what songs and lyrics are really helping me right now and maybe you can suggest some great ones that I don't know about yet (especially country songs!).
I didn't realize how much wisdom Destiny's Child has! Who knew?!?!? My favorite is from "Survivor." "After all of the darkness and sadness/Soon comes happiness/If I surround myself with positive things/I'll gain prosperity."
Leave the Pieces by The Wreckers
"It's alright, yeah I'll be fine/Don't worry about this heart of mine/Just take your love and hit the road/There's nothing you can do or say/You're gonna break my heart anyway/So just leave the pieces when you go."
Pink's "So What" is also pretty relevant:
"I guess I just lost my husband/I don't know where he went/I'm gonna drink my money/Not gonna pay his rent/I have got a new attitude/And I'm gonna show it tonight"
Then later she calls him a "tool." Love it.
Let me know what other songs I should download and sing along to in the car!
Now I'm going to go back to bed and see if I can sleep if Bailey will make room for me.
Nothing's more liberating than singing "I Will Survive!" I'm going to be listening a little more closely to songs and hopefully I can make some more suggestions!
ReplyDeleteI rely on "Karma Police" by Radiohead for times when I need to remind myself that good people will prevail despite crappy people. (And, of course, the louder it is, the better.) Come over anytime and we can scream the lyrics together!
ReplyDeleteHey MRB, Karma Police is a great song, but Justin put it on a mix cd for me when we were dating. So I don't think it will work. But it's a great suggestion though! :)
ReplyDelete