Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Signed, Sealed, Delivered... Not Yours!

I got an email from my attorney's office yesterday morning saying that they had received the signed and notarized divorce settlement agreement and other documents from Justin.  I couldn't believe it.  I sent them to him late Thursday afternoon and he must have signed, notarized and mailed them on Friday.  He told me he would "review with his legal counsel" and sign them.  I doubt he has a lawyer since he has a DUI attorney he's also going to have to hire.  I was so pleased that he signed and didn't try to negotiate any terms on how I'm no longer responsible for paying the mortgage or utilities effective November 1. 

So I went to my attorney's office and signed and initialed every page.  The paralegal is a notary, so she notarized as I signed everything.  It was really quick and painless.  I was nervous going in because I was prepared to get emotional and cry, but I didn't even tear up.  It was a little rattling to his see his signature and initials everywhere, but it was also a big relief. 

The paperwork will be filed today and then 31 days from now our case will be sent to a judge.  Most likely, the judge will grant the divorce decree without us having to come to court since it is uncontested and we have no children.  But depending on which judge receives our case, there is a small chance that we would have to appear in court.  Hopefully it won't happen that way and I will be Erin Maureen Ryal again by mid- to late-October!  Yay!

3 comments:

  1. WOW! The sooner the better. This incarnation of EMR is going to be the best one, I can tell!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad all this went smoothly for you! I think this is the beginning of many more smooth transitions. Love you! Get that champagne glass ready--we're going to celebrate this weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin Riddle here. I have been reading your blog and I just can't believe all the crap you had to go through. I am so sorry that this happened to you. I am so happy that the gathering of your things and the signing of the documents went smoothly. I hope you have a fantastic rest of the week and have fun sky diving with Maryjane. Hugs and much love to you,

    EMR

    ReplyDelete